Saturday, February 5, 2011

Argyle Workshop

So our guild invited Karla Alexander of Saginaw Street Quilts to come speak this month and she taught two workshops at the shop too. First she taught Argyle which I took.  On Wednesday she taught Stash Renovation, which my mom took, well sort of--that was the day with all the rolling blackouts in our area so it was a little hectic in the shop and mom kept jumping back and forth.
Karla lives in Oregon and saw it was in the 70's here before she packed to fly down. She packed accordingly.  BUT.....What do they say about Houston weather?  "If you don't like the weather don't worry, just wait 15 minutes and it will change!" Well it did!
Poor Karla arrived to freezing weather and on top of it being freezing, her hotel lost power!  I am so grateful that it only took a trip to Starbucks to get her morning back on track and she even bought one for me in thanks! She is a professional and rolled with the punches!  
I had a great time with her! 
I got almost all my blocks done for Argyle in class but finished at home and here is my completed top:
along with a little stow away in the corner there from Tommy (my son).
I love curved piecing and I loved that though she has rulers for cutting the curves (made by Creative Grids), she also said we could do the pattern with free form rotary cutting! So I did that having really liked it when I did it on my Eureka quilts and the Quilting Improv workshop.  It worked out great! 
I love how rich the colors are on this quilt. It looks almost electric.
Can't wait to quilt this baby up!

1 comment:

  1. Oh WOW -- that is GORGEOUS!! You did an awesome job on it, girl. I can't wait to see how you quilt it.

    ReplyDelete

My very best friend said: