On to new projects:
I have been working on this quilt for a couple of weeks now.
All the fabrics are from Ginny Beyer's collections except the jadite green one.
It is a pattern called Fab-tastic by Marlous Designs.
My only criticism is that I decided to make mine a twin size version, which the pattern gives the specifications for, but it was a pretty skimpy twin size. I added another row of squares to mine. Fortunately the fabric requirements were a little inflated so I was able to make 4 more blocks with no additional fabric purchases.
It is mostly strip pieced so it went together pretty quickly. I did have to slow down to add the piping but I am glad I did because it really makes the quilt for me. I used Susan Cleveland's Piping Hot Binding Tool for the piping and it sure makes it easy!
Now for the quilting... I have been chomping at the bit to try the curved cross hatching quilting. I am an avid reader of the Green Fairy Quilts blog. She uses this technique often (as well as many other awesome techniques) in her quilts it just looked really cool to me. I decided to try it on this quilt. All the floating black paisley squares have 3/4" curved cross hatching in them made using these:
These are from Lakeside Quilt Company.
Each square of cross hatching took 18 minutes and there are 24 squares.
So just those alone took 8 hours, but I LOVE how they came out and I can't wait to try it on some other quilts. I am now waiting for some purple thread to arrive so I can finish the rest of each block.
I took a class with Karla Alexander in February and she encouraged me to play with the Creative Grids rulers and design some quilts. I have this ruler called Straight Out of Line and it is designed by Karla.
I have been playing with it on paper (because EQ is still somewhat a challenge for me)
And finally decided to play with it on some fabric, here is a preview of my quilt.
More on that later when we will do the big reveal!