Sunday, May 1, 2011

Oh my gosh it has been 2 weeks!

It has been a busy couple of weeks and I have been doing a lot of sewing too. I was hired to make an baby quilt with a Texas A&M theme.  First thing I had to learn was what the official school colors were! I am not from Texas so don't yell at me! I thought it was maroon and gray but my friend Teresa informed me that gray was just thrown in occasionally and that they were really maroon and white.
The customer wanted something traditional so I flipped through my Amish quilt books and found a block I had always liked which is called a variety of things "Bachelor's Puzzle"," Snail's Trail" etc...
I have made this block in miniature and donated it to the Ami Simms Alzeheimer's Quilt Auction a few years ago but those were 3 inch blocks finished which made me a little insane. The whole quilt was 9"x12".
3510 - Square Dance
I decided NOT to make the block THAT small again this time though. Since it was a baby's quilt I decided an 8" block would be cute and wouldn't make me nuts.
Here is the resulting Texas A&M quilt for baby JR:
It measures 48"x48".
I quilted it on my new longarm which I have limited skill using thus far but, I played to my strengths and it came out great.


I have also been working on a ticker tape quilt. Another blog I read is doing a quilt-along called Bottled Rainbows.  I decided to try the technique and see if I liked it.
It was a 100% hit for me and is a great stash buster.  It is a quilt as you go technique that you do block by block. Here is my first block all in baby blues:
More will definitely follow as this was a super cool technique and I liked the result. It reminds me of my favorite video game TETRIS that I played as a teen. I won't go into detail about how to do the technique as the Stitched in Color blog outlines it beautifully and I highly reccommend you click over to her blog and check it out!
I also think there is a lot of design potenitial so I am going to play with some designs and do them ticker tape style to see how they look.

2 comments:

  1. Okay whenever Pamela gets married and has a baby you're hired. Love Love the aggie quilt. The snails trail pattern really did it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the A&M baby quilt!
    Very interesting ... the ticker-tape quilt ... I'd be interested in finding out more!

    ReplyDelete

My very best friend said: