Friday, February 17, 2012

Mike's Quilt

This beautiful quilt is a block of the month you can still find in Keepsake Quilting's most recent issue. I know because I cut the picture out to sketch some potential quilting designs for this quilt on before I began quilting it!
Mike did a fantastic job piecing it and she permitted me to custom quilt it, with plans to enter it into our guild's show in a couple weeks! With a quilt like this (several borders) there is a real concern that it will not lay flat if the borders are not measured correctly. One ill fitting border is compounded with each border after that making it worse and worse. Mike measured carefully, and this quilt layed beautifully I must say. Well worth her trouble and efforts!
Here it is before I quilted it. It measured 90"x100"
 The unquilted center medallion:
These next two are after I quilted the center medallion:
 
You know by now that texture is my thing, so I added a lot of texture to really accent the quilt's character.
 
The four corners of the quilt had this small block, I liked how it looked like the green was woven around it:
 These are some of the patchwork blocks in the quilt:
 
 each were unique so I tried to tie them together with some of the quilting elements being repeated in them
  

Here are some shots of the back side as well:

 She used a beautiful wide batik back for the backing which was perfect and so hard to find! Good thing my favorite shop carries them!
Hope you are all planning on attending the show and seeing some of these beauties in person!
Go to : www.tricountyquiltguild.org for more information!

1 comment:

My very best friend said: