Saturday, June 4, 2011

That moment when....

I know you have had this moment.
You know when you are ready to work on a project, all the planets have aligned and you somehow have a block of time when you can focus on a project.
That was me the other night. I skipped off to my new studio ( I know, I need to post pictures!) thinking I would have some time on a quilt.  I got a CD to listen to, cleaned, oiled and warmed up my longarm and was ready to go.

Until I started stitching. Then it all went to hell in a handcart.
The machine was skipping stitches. Like--massive stitches. Toe nail hookers was what my "wordsmith husband" called them, an inch long in some cases.
So I took a deep breath and made some adjustments.
Tension-checked, tightness of the quilt on the frame loosened, uptake bar lowered, checked thread, new needle.
Still. No. good.
Now my nice block of time was down to half and my patience was down to nothing.
Nearly in tears I turned as my husband came in to tell me dinner was ready.(--Yes he cooks,  yes it is wonderful)
Our conversation went like this:

Awesome husband: "Dinner is ready!" then seeing my distressed look: "What is wrong?"

Me: "I was all excited to get this done and now the machine is skipping stitches and I have tried everything I can think of to fix it but nothing worked and now all that is left is the timing but that is scary because I have to take stuff apart to do it and have never done that before."*sniff*

Awesome husband: "I will help you with it after dinner, don't worry."

Me: "Umm... hon, you don't know anything about sewing machines how can you help me? These are really fine tuned machines....."

Awesome husband: "It is a machine hon, they are all pretty much the same, let's eat!"

Me: "ummmm........okay???"

So after dinner he briefly read through the directions and then deftly adjusted the timing on my longarm sewing machine- like he'd done it everyday of his life!
Then he explained to me (the one with the blank look on her face) why the machine had been skipping stitches and how it all made sense!
Of course it did.
Then I really did cry because I had another moment you have probably had too-- the one where you realize how awful life would be without your other half and how truly lucky you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My very best friend said: